Last night was a breakfast for dinner night. I wanted to do something easy that would undoubtedly taste good. I know my husband likes eggs with runny yolks, tomatoes, and bread. The Eggs in Purgatory recipe I found on Leite's Culinaria sounded like the PERFECT recipe to try out for dinner. Not to mention, it only takes 5 minutes to cook on the stove. OK, maybe 6. Hubby said it was GREAT and even my 2 year old loved it. Definitely a recipe to make again!
- 4 - Large Eggs
- 14.5oz - Diced Tomatoes (1 Can)
- 1/4 Tsp - Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 - Garlic Clove (Minced)
- 1 TBSP - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 - Loaf of Crusty Bread
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Crack eggs into a small bowl. Make sure all shell pieces are removed. Set aside.
- Head a medium-large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes and minced garlic.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute until flavors become fragrant.
- Gently add in entire can of diced tomatoes.
- Carefully slip in eggs making sure to separate them a little. Don't cover the yolk with the tomato or juices unless you want a more solid yolk.
- Grate some Parmesan cheese over the whites and tomato.
- Partially cover and allow to cook for 5 minutes. (The tomato should be consistently bubbling.)
- When whites have mostly set, remove from heat, and grate some more Parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm with toasted crusty bread.