Until yesterday, I had only ever made lemon squares from a boxed mix. They're one of those desserts that I LOVE, but can only handle the indulgence once or twice a year at most. Since I'm the only one who really likes them, I get to eat the entire batch all by my lonesome. Well, I just happened to have half dozen lemons in my fridge and had no idea what to do with them. (A story for another time.) So I started Googling around to see if it was possible to make lemon bars from scratch using real lemons. And look at that. It is! I grabbed this recipe from AllRecipes.com. Just a quick note, the crust does seem a little thick, but if you allow them to cool for a good 12 hours everything balances out.
- 2 Sticks - Softened Butter
- 2 Cups - Sugar (Separated into 1.5 and .5 cups)
- 2 1/4 Cups - All Purpose Flour (Separated into 2 and 1/4 cups)
- 2 - Lemons (Juiced) = Approximately 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 4 - Large Eggs
- If butter has been refrigerated make sure to soften it first. Easiest way I've found is two sticks at a time in the microwave at 10 seconds. Let sit for a bit, then flip and microwave for another 10 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend together butter, 2 cups of flour, and 1/2 cup sugar until the mixture is crumbly.
- Firmly pat down into a 9x13" ungreased pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Crust should become a light golden color and be firm.
- While crust is baking, beat together eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and lemon juice until lumps are gone.
- Once crust has baked, pour lemon mixture over the top, and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow bars to cool completely before cutting.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Note: You can add lemon zest (up to a full lemon worth) into the lemon batter, and then garnish with additional lemon zest if desired.
- June: Farmer’s Market Challenge – Fried Pork Loin and Sauteed Veggie Fajita
- June: Farmer’s Market Challenge – Garlic Mushroom Sauce with Chicken & Pasta
- June: Farmer’s Market Challenge – Curried Potato Salad & Epicurean Non-Slip Cutting Board Review
- June: Farmer’s Market Challenge – Grilled Hot Lime Chicken Thighs
- May: Meatless Challenge – Strawberry Shortcake with Zesty Lemon Whipped Cream