Yesterday, my husband showed me a photo of a meat cupcake someone else had made, and proceeded to tell me I needed to give this a try. After reading through the person's recipe and realizing I didn't have most of the ingredients she used, I came up with my own. I've been brainstorming for a week about what to do with the mushrooms and smoked Gouda in my fridge. I'm determined to make a risotto in the near future, but since mushrooms get a little slimy if hanging out too long, I decided this might be the perfect thing to use them in. Last I knew there wasn't a shortage of white mushrooms. Essentially a meat cupcake is just a small meat loaf with mashed potatoes on top. The possibilities are pretty much endless!
Meat Cupcake Ingredients (Makes Approx. 10 Cupcakes):
- 1 Pound - Ground Pork
- 1/2 - Small Onion Diced
- 2 - Eggs
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cup - Sauteed White Mushrooms Chopped
- 1/2 Cup - Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup - Smoked Gouda Chopped Finely or Shredded
- Season to Taste (I recommend 1/2 Tsp of seasoned salt or regular salt.)
Loaded Mashed Potato Frosting Ingredients:
- 6 to 8 - Red Potatoes Peeled and Cubed
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) - Butter
- 1/4 Cup - Milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup - Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup - Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 6-8 - Strips of Fried Bacon (Set a strip or two aside for crumbling.)
- 1 - Green Onion
- Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oven to 350F Degrees. Lightly grease a cupcake pan and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook 8 strips of bacon over low heat.
- While bacon is cooking, saute mushrooms until soft in a little olive oil.
- Thoroughly beat the eggs with a fork.
- Combine meat, onion, mushrooms, bread crumbs, cheese, and eggs by hand in a large bowl until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Fill and pack meat mixture into approximately 10 cupcake compartments.
- Bake on 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- While meat cupcakes are baking, boil potatoes until soft and then drain.
- Add butter, milk, sour cream, cheese and your preferred seasonings. Mash until smooth.
- At the same time, remove bacon from skillet, and transfer onto a plate with paper towels to drain the grease and cool.
- To assemble the cupcake, remove meat cupcakes from pan and place onto a serving platter.
- Break 5 strips of bacon in half. Lay a half on top of each cupcake.
- Fill a piping bag with mashed potatoes. (Just use your favorite LARGE frosting tip.)
- Pipe the loaded mashed potato frosting onto the top of the cupcakes in any way you wish. (I like using the large star tip and creating a double layer.)
- Garnish with green onion, cheese, and crumbled bacon.