For my final recipe I wanted to do a soup. I love soup and since we still have chilly days I thought it would be great to try a new, warm, hearty dish. I made the Zucchini, Bacon, & Blue Cheese Soup to go with the Irish Soda Bread. (You can get the recipe for the bread HERE.) Now, it doesn't photograph all that well because it's relatively monotone in color and texture, but it is DELICIOUS and that little extra zing from the blue cheese really makes it scrumptious. I think it's my favorite soup I've ever made... and I've made several drool-worthy soups the last couple of months. You can find the original recipe on the Irish Abroad website, but I made a few small tweaks because I didn't have all of the specific ingredients listed. (Irish Bacon is different than American Bacon, but I have a solution for that.)
- 1 TBSP - Olive Oil
- 10 Slices - Blanched & Chopped American Bacon (Add in 1 or 2 more if you want extra for garnish.)
- 1 - Onion Chopped
- 3 - Medium Zucchini Sliced
- 3 - Russet Potatoes Peeled & Chopped
- 4 Cups - Chicken Broth
- 4 oz - Blue Cheese (3oz for the soup and 1oz for garnish)
- 1/3 Cup - Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup - Whole Milk
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
*Note: You can substitute 2/3 cup of Half & Half for the milk and heavy cream.
*Note: To blanch the bacon, bring bacon and water in a large saucepan/pot to a boil. Once boiling immediately reduce heat and allow to simmer for 7 minutes. Place blanched bacon into a bowl of ice water for 3 minutes. Take out and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large saucepan/pot add olive oil and bacon.
- Cook bacon until it has browned. This takes about 5 minutes. Remember to remove anything you want to reserve for garnish.
- Add in zucchini, onion, and potatoes and cover. Cook vegetables (stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pot) until soft. This should take 10-15 minutes depending on the amount of vegetables and how large you chopped/sliced them.
- Add in chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes while still covered.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer everything into a food processor. This will most likely need to be done in batches unless you happen to have a massive blender. Process until smooth.
- Once smooth, return to your large saucepan/pot.
- Add in milk, cream, (or half-and-half), and 3oz of blue cheese. Combine over medium-low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish, and serve hot.