This is my absolute favorite baked macaroni and cheese. My husband prefers my crock pot version, but I think this has a better texture and flavor overall. Feel free to tweak the types of cheese you use, or use mild or sharp cheddar. I tend to go with mild just so more of my family will eat it, but I personally would prefer sharp. (Next time I make it I'm considering using some smoked Gouda too.)
- 2 to 2.5 Cups - Elbow Macaroni (Approximately 8oz.)
- 3 TBSP - Butter
- 1/2 - Finely Chopped Yellow Onion
- 2 - Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup - All Purpose Flour
- 2.5 Cups - Milk (I use Whole)
- 9 Slices - Bacon (Cooked and Crumbled)
- 2.25 Cups - Cheddar (Divided)
- 1 Cup - Soft Bread Crumbs (Recipe below for how to make your own)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. (i.e. boil water and cook 8-11ish minutes) Drain. Put back in pot used to cook it.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Over MEDIUM heat in a MEDIUM saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onions and garlic, stir, and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until well blended.
- Slowly temper milk in.
- Stir continuously until milk has thickened. Approximately 6-10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. (I only add a little salt and no pepper.)
- Combine 2 cups of cheese with the milk, and stir until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Combine cheese sauce with macaroni noodles, mix thoroughly, and pour into 9x13" baking dish.
- Evenly top macaroni and cheese with crumbled bacon.
- On top of the bacon sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Finally evenly cover the top of the macaroni and cheese with soft breadcrumbs.
- Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Top should be golden brown.
* To make 1 Cup of bread crumbs from scratch take 8 - 10 slices of white bread and cube it. Place it on a baking sheet, and bake at 200 for 60-90 minutes. (Check to see how hard the cubes are getting.) Once all moisture from the bread has gone, turn the oven off, and let baking sheet sit in the oven until cooled. Put bread cubes into a food processor and pulse until desired fineness of bread crumbs has been reached. Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and combine with the bread crumbs.